Friday, October 3, 2008

not all the conservatives were convinced

from Conor Friedersdorf:
...Finally, what about my call for Governor Palin to be kicked off the ticket? One criticism of my article was that the base would never accept it, and Governor Palin performed well enough tonight for that to be definitively true. But I don’t think she performed nearly well enough to allow John McCain to win the election, and neither did she convince me that she would be capable of becoming President on day 2.

To put a finer point on this, I ask the following of everyone who watched tonight’s debate — were John McCain assassinated at his inauguration by terrorists, even as two American cities saw buildings partially blown up by truck bombs, and Vladimir Putin used the opportunity to move troops into a former Soviet Repulic, would you trust that Governor Palin would have the knowledge, credibility, bearing and calming influence on the country to handle the situation? Or would having her in the Oval Office freak you out in a deep way? I’d be frightened, and I expect a lot of people now supporting Governor Palin would think, "Oh God, what have I done." I was hoping I’d change my mind about that tonight, for I really am all about not wanting worse case scenarios to happen, but alas I still worry about it.

No comments: