* That snatches its victims off the street, denies them all form of legal process and whisks them away to secret “blacksites” where they can be tortured using all the techniques described in Arthur Koestler’s Darkness at Noon?Of course, this blog would make us all enemies of that state.
* That believes it can detain and hold its enemies forever without any charges or any evidence against them, denying them access to courts to prove their innocence?
* That constantly manipulates the population’s fear whenever its public popularity slips and elections begin to approach?
* That systematically spies on millions of its citizens in direct violation of a criminal statute which forbids such surveillance?
* That lies to its people about threats from abroad in an effort to build popular support for a series of wars and then cites the existence of those wars as a reason to suppress dissent?
* That nationalizes the debt of predatory capitalists so they suffer no punishment for their misconduct and then nationalizes major financial institutions, converting the nation’s free market system into a socialism in which crony capitalists are a privileged elite?
Friday, October 31, 2008
Wake up from your nightmare, Sarah!
Scott Horton of Harper's Bizarre on Gov. Palin's nightmare "that an Obama presidency would present the specter of a socialist state in which fundamental American freedoms are undermined." She's been asleep for the last 8 years of a state